Sunday, August 11, 2013

We need to talk

We need to talk
----

What's that?
We need to talk?
Oh, sure thing, babe, but
first let me finish the dishes they've
been left out for quite some time now, sorry,
I know it was my turn to clean them, I
was just so busy and you know how it goes,
but I picked up some fruit at the
market today -
what, you were trying to say something?
Of course, of course I can put it down but
first let me dry my hands and turn out the faucet,
there, now we can talk, so let me start by
saying you look lovely today, I
don't say that enough, you
know? But
you do and I've been thinking about it and we
should go out on a real nice date, like last June when
we went to the Wailers concert and smoked a bowl with
Marley's ghosts, wasn't
that fun? Wait
let me finish, see, I'm a changed man, look
I've got two quarters and a dime, and my spirits are
much more congenial now that I only sip them
twice a day. I've
even started writing like I used to, you remember
the poem with the lilac letters and the icy eyes, didn't
you like that, back when we laid out on purple blankets with
our backs on the beach and the tide rising up over
 our feet? Hah, that
was really funny because you almost wet yourself and
no, no, of course that wasn't, just a bit amusing, or
maybe not really at all, sorry, I get talking like this and my toes get
all tingly and I start to blush, you know how
hot I get, because
your Aunt Ruth saw me do it last Thanksgiving and called
me rooster and you laughed and kept calling me it until you
said it during sex that one time and suddenly it wasn't funny any -
more, would you like more ice cream, I know Neapolitan is
not your favorite, so I bought you Rocky Road instead, is
that alright? I
know you best you know and -
What's that you say?
Oh.

You want to break up?

Well, uh, sure, I mean,
why put it off?

No comments:

Post a Comment