Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A summer in the old city



The pidgeons were too friendly, they
would come up to me even when I was in one of my moods
and try to talk to me, and I
would say to them, “Why, I’ve
got nothing to say to you. You shouldn’t be here, you
could be anywhere else, but here, and
just cuz others feed you
doesn’t mean I will,
you sellouts, you
who can
fly!”

I knew a place where you could get
a beer and a cigar for 4.99 in the old city, and
on my days off I would wander between the tabby
bricks and drink in the courtyard and try
to keep the smoke from the
playing kids.

Done, I would
Float down the street in my hipster slacks,
and think in verse, walking
past the fort and into the art galleries,
dotting in and out, timid, feeling
like I shouldn’t be in such
reverent spaces,
turning away,
dull ache.

There was one artist who only painted
wine. I think we would have
gotten along, you see, I am Catholic. wine
bottles in stacks, with fading light, with
illuminate corks, with fat, thin, long
snouts, barreling upwards,
engorged. He said he
used to paint only reds,
would paint apples, wagons, but
discovered that every time
he painted wine, he
sold out.

Cathedral bells extolled the hour.

Dehydrated and buzzed, I
always stopped at the gallery del Mar.

There was a painting there, of
a girl Рclich̩! Рof vibrant color and red hair,
she had no eyes, covered in bangs, but she always
looked straight through me and I shied away, she
was too real, all-knowing, her violent strokes
slashing at my vision, but peace, and
infatuation, so I
asked how to pronounce the artist’s name:
“Josef Kote” (as in coat).
Funny that I had expected something else, something
sublime, something French.
“She was his daughter, beautiful
Isn’t she?”

I would say thanks, then
stumble into the day – 5 p.m. – my
buttoned shirt soaked with sweat, the
remnants of tobacco still bitter on my lips, I
would walk to my sauna car and drive home, 
and wade into the water, asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment