Thursday, August 29, 2013

Friendship


I am sorry that I hurt you.
After all of these years, I realize
that we never talked about the things that bothered us
and now, I suppose, we don’t really talk at all
I've swiped my phone calls and text messages like
my most cherished credit card, only to come up with “Reader Error,”
again and again, or maybe it was more like “My Error,” because I
sent you a letter trying to tell you everything
I was sorry for, and somehow missed
the mark, because I haven’t heard from you since.
I’d say what I did wrong, but I still don’t know, and
I’d ask again, but you're only a voice mail.
If you were standing here in front of me,
I would say that I am sorry because I
wasn't always the best friend, I
am reminded that I am a great, goofy greyhound,
who after years of being trained still doesn't know how to stay home,
I chase after every backyard squirrel and bright headlight,
and come back two weeks later, my paws torn,
my eyes like drooping “I owe you’s”
and settle again by your side,
man’s worst friend,
because this whole time I've ignored the shock collar,
tracked mud into the living room,
and brought back only fleas.

No comments:

Post a Comment