Friday, July 16, 2010

Why Every Man should love Taylor Swift - For Kara


When I go on my theory of why every man loves (or at least should love) taylor swift, I am often met with protest. "But Nicky," girls say," she can't even sing!" or "Nicky, she may have (or may not have as I must remind you) ripped off many of her lyrics from other artists." Finally, the most consistent complaint I get is, "But Nicky...she's so cheesy and melodramatic" (note that these are coming from girls). While these are good (if unfounded) arguments, I still find that men naturally are gravitated towards liking taylor swift, the way peanut butter is naturally compelled to jelly, or how peas just naturally fit in a pod. it just works!

But for you doubters, here are just a few reasons why its true:

1) She is CUTE - not slutty, not obnoxiously hot, not jaw-on-the-floor and howling like wily coyote. I mean, look at this completely unposed for, completely candid, picture of her at school:

Look at that! Curly hair, simple dress, barefoot! She has two things; first, she seems like she could be the typical girl next door, your average down to earth, lovable girl. At the same time though, she also reminds us of the classic beauties of the past; audrey hepburn, meg ryan, janet jackson (okay just making sure you were still paying attention), and barbara streisand, to name a few.

2) Her lyrics - oh come on, no one can look at a taylor swift song and be like "damn, i've never felt that way before." of course you've felt that way! I mean, let's look at the themes of two of her top songs;

You Belong with Me - girl next door, best friend of a guy who doesn't see her as more of a friend, of course he's dating the hot cheerleader girl. Every, and I mean EVERY girl can understand this...but even us guys can too. Unless you're one of those hot, popular guys (which if you are, then you make up .01% of all males in the world) then you've probably had a female friend (usually attractive, funny, charming, cute, whatever) who you adore but can't tell because it would ruin your friendship and, let's be honest, you're not her "type",

Tim McGraw - the end of a relationship, and you're left devastated(September saw a month of tears, and thankin' God that you weren't here, to see me like that). in the end you hold on to that one memory, and you hope that they remember you fondly too.

Those are just two of her songs, but take any one of her songs and its almost universally applicable.

3) She's Smart! (and driven)
In case you were getting under the impression that she's just a ditsy girl who likes to sing about her adolescent life, know that she also has a deeper side to her. Take the following excerpt from wikipedia (which, as most of us know, is a completely authoritative and trusted source in all teenage and young adult circles, if not in actual academic circles);

"When she was twelve years old, she devoted an entire summer to writing a 350 page novel, which remains unpublished"

Twelve years old! As a writer who has still yet to finish his own fully-finished book, I appreciate the amount of devotion and work it takes to get such an accomplishment. Let's do the math:

1 Summer = 2 1/2 months
2 1/2 months = approximately 75 days
350 pages (at 275 words per page) = 96, 250 words
96,250 words/75 days = 1283 words per day for 2 and a half months!

And in case you didn't realize, thats a significant amount, especially for a 12 year old.

4) She's goofy!

One of the most important aspects in any potential partner, male or female, is the ability to laugh at themself and not take themselves too seriously. To show this point, I give you the following link to her song "Thug Story"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz10BUCP2dE

5) Finally...she wants to do what you want to do!

And this is a big thing for us guys. She doesn't want to go shopping that much, or go do girl-things. She's interested in what you're interested in! For instance she'll :

Get your humor *gasp* !!! - (You belong with me) "Cause she doesn't get your humor like I do"
Just chill and listen to music with you - (You belong with me) "I'm in the room, its a typical Tuesday night, I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like."
Go to All Your Games - (You belong with me) "I'm on the bleachers"
Dance with you, regardless of the weather and regardless of the clothing she is wearing - (Fearless) "And I don't know why, but with you I'd dance in a storm in my best dress"
Sneak Out with you (when your momma don't know) - (Our song) "Sneakin' out late tappin on your window"
Ride shotgun with her hair undone (which is extremely attractive/cute) - (Our Song) "I was riding shotgun with my hair undone"
Write You A Song! - (Hey Stephen) "but would they write a song for you"

----------

Thus, I rest my case. For all intents and purposes, in every way, manner, shape, or form...every man should love Taylor Swift.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh--where to begin?!?!

    Okay, yes, she's cute. That much I'll admit. BUT, her lyrics really are excessively cheesy, and you know it!!!!

    Oh. This cracked me up. You call that picture unposed??? Nicky, Hun, the lyrics to her song are on the blackboard!!! Of COURSE it's posed for!

    Next, Wikipedia can lie sweetheart. She might not have written anything, ever, in her entire life(including all her cheeseball songs!).

    The only thing I agree w/ in full is the part about Thug Story. She's definitely not shy, or easily embarrassed, and for that, I give her props.

    As for the rest, well, you know far too much of her music, and for that, I'm taking your man card. (:

    Much love, Kara

    ReplyDelete