Saturday, July 17, 2010

Top Ten "Authentic" Love Songs

There are many aspects that make a great love song. Great lyrics, great music that sets a tone, and great vocals can make any love song special. However, what truly sets a love song apart from any other song is the emotion behind it. If a singer truly feels the words they are saying and feels the music in a very personal sense, a great love song becomes an amazing love song. This is a tribute to the top 10 songs I feel are the most "authentic"; the ones where the singers really meant every word they said, and you can tell, felt it to their core.

10) We Belong - Pat Benetar

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pat+benatar/we+belong_20104904.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZInIyOBXk



When you get a song with such great lyrics, it would be an absolute shame for the artist to then follow them up with weak or lethargic vocals. Luckily, Pat Benetar lives up to the billing, singing straight from the heart that cuts right to the core of a relationship. The refrain especially is felt, so that one cannot help but think about their own romances, either past or present. It is a universal complication of dating that we often are left to fight to keep it all together, and this song embodies that struggle within both our heart and that of our partner.

9) Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/poison/every+rose+has+its+thorn_20109974.html


Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFIKPGVTwEY



If you just listen to the recording, you can easily hear the deep breath he takes before starting the song. That one act, breathing in, that one sigh, becomes the inspiration behind the rest of the song. Every languishing word, every lamenting thought, centers around that idea of an imperfect reality. A slight blemish on a beautiful thing. Poison may not have contributed much to music as a whole, but this song singularly makes its mark on the listener with its raw emotion and simple lyrics.

8) You Don't Bring Me Flowers - Barbara Streisand

Lyrics:http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/barbra+streisand/you+dont+bring+me+flowers_20012696.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj10EzNKA2M


Combined with the starpower of Neil Daimond added to Barbara's already huge following, this song was destined to be an instant hit. However, it was much more than a hit; it was the embodiment of both beauty and sadness, tragedy and recollection, true love and true despair.
Such an awesome combination of both the greatest and the worst of human emotion cannot be taken without a significant impact being made.


Note: I prefer the recorded version then the live video I've posted here. It should be easy enough to look up in any search engine.

7) Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/goo+goo+dolls/iris_20061324.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpO9MSEWpxc

Okay so the movie wasn't that great...I mean, angel falls in love with girl who he's been staring at for the last couple of weeks...kinda creepy right? However, the one gem that comes from this is the song "Iris" which has become one of the top rock songs and love ballads of the 90's. Though its taken from the viewpoint of an angel, even mere humans like ourselves can associate with every line. I mean...who doesn't get "And I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand." Anyway, the song is sung with such emotion that is only done by Goo Goo Dolls that it earned its way on this list.

6) I Need Love - LL Cool J

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/ll+cool+j/i+need+love_20081043.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEUX-HYRtUA

A rapper admitting he needs love? and not just the bitches and hoes? (sorry..."malibu's most wanted" reference there, if you don't understand, watch the movie its great). Anyway, all kidding aside, such brutal honesty with oneself isn't seen very often in the music scene, especially in a song itself. It can be a little cheesy, but come on, if the guy's willing to end his song with "I'll be waiting...I love you" you know that he's putting himself out there.

5) I'll Be - Edwin McCain

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/e/edwin+mccain/ill+be_10094377.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2YZYjjonCg


Alright, so this is flat out one of the best love songs ever written, much less sung. Come on, what girl does not want to hear that no matter what, you'll be there? Not to mention the fact that it is sung so much from the heart that you can't help but know he's being sincere. I picked this video, which is a live version and not the actual recording, because he shows even more of his sincerity and sheer emotion for the song. if you'd rather listen to the recorded version, its great too.

4) Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Taylor

Lyrics:http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bonnie+tyler/total+eclipse+of+the+heart_20022769.html

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840B27zYfOk

A quirky, cool song that technically includes two or three singers, but is dominated by bonnie tyler's vibrant voice. Her singing chills you, to the point where you wonder where such feeling and emotion could be coming from. There are certain songs that can only be described as "haunting" and this is one of them.

3) Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper


Lyrics:http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/cyndi+lauper/time+after+time_20035202.html

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU

The music video is pretty weird, and starts out with an interesting scene. When the song kicks in though, you know that its heartfelt and true to what a real love song should sound like. The whole song is great, but especially the last repetition of "time after time" is phenomenal. Great song all together.

2) Faithfully - Journey

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/journey/faithfully_20075719.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVs4jDL-JBo


What a great song, what great lyrics, and what a great sound! The piano itself is filled with emotion, so much that you're already impacted by the first stanza, much less the rest of the song! Though he declares that "loving a music man ain't always what it's supposed to be" he also points out "I get the joy of rediscovering you". The ending to the song culminates with an emotional display not often seen, and definately places this song as one of the most authentic love songs in music.

1) I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston


Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGC003Xz3CY

I've said alot in this post...maybe too much. Every single one of these songs means a little something to someone, and a lot of something to me. I think that this song speaks for itself, so I have nothing else to say.









----------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. So, I have to start by saying WOW. This whole list, and all the thought you put into it, is absolutely fantastic!

    I personally think Iris should be top of the list--I LOVE the Goo Goo Dolls, and that song can make me cry...I'm pretty sure I want it as my First Dance when I get married(random tidbit).

    That said, I also think that 1 and 2 fall behind 3-5. This is just my personal opinion; I've known those songs forever, they're great, I have them memorized, and I know EXACTLY how they apply to my life.

    All that aside, still an amazing post(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well these are all great, but you're kind of stuck in last century... how about some of the great love songs out now?

    Coldplay has some powerful ones - "Warning Sign" ('the truth is, that I miss you and I'm tired... I should not have let you go....So I crawl back into your open arms').... or "The Scientist" ('Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry; You don't know how lovely you are. I had to find you, tell you I need you,Tell you I set you apart.) or "Shiver" ('i will always be waiting for you...')

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's right. This list is all 70's, 80's, and 90's music. It's a good set with a good analysis but, in my opinion, these are not the top ten authentic love songs of all time. Maybe of the twentieth century, but if this were my list I would have included "With or Without You" by U2 and "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed (not your typical love song, but a truly authentic love song for a child).

    Now discussing more modern music, "Guardian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus is a must. Just try to tell me there is no emotion in that song.
    I would also include "Broken" by Lifehouse, "She Will Be Loved" Maroon5, and where would we be without "My Wish" and Rascal Flatt's rendition of "Bless the Broken Road"?
    just to name a few...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, thanks for all the comments. I'm glad everyone's putting out there opinions, cuz really that just adds to the article and helps everyone find more good music.

    I agree with you on "With or Without You" and "Guardian Angel". Those two both are great songs, but I couldn't quite put fit them in. "With or Without You" would probably be 11 if I could have put it somewhere, and "Guardian Angel", would be up there. Ill be honest, i kind of forgot about it...its been a while since I heard.

    Part of the reason why a lot of the songs are older is that i believe that songs take time to truly be appreciated, and often, we don't fully understand them when they're first released, but only once they've been passed on for a while. If that makes any sense.

    However, I do admit that i probably should have included some more contemporary songs. It's just my list though, i'm sure you could make thousands of different variations depending on people's own personal preferences.

    This list is good for now, but I agree, if I could I would post a list of 100 such songs, since all of them would be awesome to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw this, I first thought of top love songs by lyrics, but you were addressing something different. You wrote, "the most "authentic"; the ones where the singers really meant every word they said, and you can tell, felt it to their core."

    Have you ever seen the bumper sticker, "Nights of passion; no regrets in the morning. Opera." Unfortunately, I don't know enough about opera to make suggestions, but I think that if there was a way to extend into this genre, we could all be enriched... I mean opera brings men to tears -- and no not because it hurts their ears.

    However, I'm sure it might come as no surprise to "hear" me say that I can't talk about love songs without talking about God. I mean seriously, he is the source of love... he is love. For me, Gregorian chant is all about love... it is most commonly the result of religious life, total dedication/consecration to him, and it is an act of worship and love. Of course, there are chants for every kind of worship...but the experience is love in all of them. Seeing the faces of religious singing and you know it is authentic. Traditional hymns like the Panis Angelicus, a hymn of love for the Eucharist written by St. Thomas Aquinas has been so movingly by so many..."

    I also have to put in a plug for Amazing Grace... it is totally a love song as the soul recognizes all that Christ has done for him/her... And there have been so many who have sung it so meaningfully.

    However, recognizing that I have now illustrated that I am clearly off the beaten path when it comes to love songs, I'll try to get back on track and stay on the trail.

    I do think that besides moving into this century as others have suggested, we need to look further back in the last century... Think about "Unforgettable" or "When I Fall in Love" by Nat King Cole (see youtube). Moving a little farther forward Rick Astley with "Never Gonna Give You Up" or "Together Forever" or even "If" by Bread.

    Any way... just broading the perspective a little. Hope you don't mind.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete