Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"You Sung a Song"



“You sung a song”

-----
“You sung a song”

You sung a song as I drew near
amidst my foggy edges drear
and tired words became alive
and hired hearts again did strive
the passion found between us there

The world outside was nearing dark
but deep inside, warm was the hearth
in sudden peaceful pleasure lay
gone the crusting remains of day
the world not privy to the heart

And as the time eclipsed all thought
When words gave way to dreaming wrought
by night and dawn's approaching glare
by toil and sweat's demanding wear
Imagining my lucky lot

Oh, day, which broke for the first time
Upon that wintry morning fine
I saw a light and hanging limb
The snowy steps implanted dim
'round the lamppost saw a bend

I wondered should I take that turn
Or take another, or adjourn
this winter walk within the wood
and capture some warmth, if I could
with what little worth I had earned

But something seen within that place
Held the promise for broken grace
that comes to a man like me but
once; breaking the burdensome rut
expanding man's humble space

So I took that first step forward
Into the path that moved toward
love that envelops, then expands
love that develops, then demands
perfect attention, dreaming blurred

And now I wake and hold you close
And watch the flick'ring flaming dose
of passion's whick fading to grey
but still, I am prone now to stay
enraptured in you and in prose
linger a moment longer, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment