Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two Paths

-----------------

I used to boast
When I was younger
That I would rather die an early death
Then see that startling eclipse
Of my waning life against the horizon

I used to think
In single words too
Like "food" and "milk" and "mother, please"
For I was just as foolish then
As I was when I said
It would be better to die an early death
Then to see that startling eclipse
Of my waning life against the horizon

But now I am with you,
And I can see that each moment is as precious
As a single drop of resurrection
In a thousand mile desert
I see now that each second is wasted
If not spent in proper recompense
For the great joy of having existed

I see now that there are two roads I will have walked in this life
The first jagged and boken, and run down, and a lonely road indeed
And another full of the light that can only be described as heaven on earth
For that road is the one spent with you

Thus, two paths I have come across
And I have chosen the latter
To be spent with you, with your hands one with mine
Your mind one with mine
Your spirit, and mine

And as we walk upon this splendid path,
I look back at my past and laugh softly
That In my foolishness I once believed
It would be better to die an early death
Then to see that startling eclipse
of my waning life against the horizon

--------------

No comments:

Post a Comment