Sunday, July 23, 2023

This poem isn't about you.


I want you to know

That I am not trying to make love to you


I get why you might assume that

When I recite these poems

About making. And loving.


But each day, they bleed out of me, these

poems, caught between the rafters

of a single sunbeam in my cracking attic,

poetry, made of dishwashing and 

warm, soapy hands, and the way she held

my hips against the sink basin, poetry, 

the leaning tree I used to climb

every day, even though

my mother told me not to,

It had already been struck by lightning

twice, and was starting to be charred,

Inside, but I still climbed it

poetry, that makes magic out of the mundane,

Can’t you see? I write this poetry

so I can get struck by lightning again,

and sifting through the ashes,

 finally, discover, 

not how to make love to you, 

but how to love myself

like I did, back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment