Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Arrogance




at the bookstore, the superstore
in Baltimore, on the bayfront that
used to be the power plant, waxing
brass into a Hard Rock Cafe, 
where the coffee shop sells
tea, but offers no outlets, 
there's a woman, she
asks where the
SparkNotes 
are.

at the bookstore, the 
power plant turned
brass, where history, 
where passion, where 
the musings  of ghost
writers past and 
present soak 
into the very walls,
she asks where the
SparkNotes
are.

you have already made
half the battle, half
the fight, you are
here, at the store,
why pay $4 for 
summaries, 
why not $5 for
masteries?

this temple to literature, spoiled,
this ivory tower wrought from
the mold only age can bring, 
where is your sympathy,
where your passion?

It seems like theft.

My own hands rise,
before my eyes, guilty
they remind me of
only moments before, 
when I traced  my way through 
the  bookshelves, in bookstores I 
have no qualms, I touch every passing 
book, I smell them, their newness, 
listen to their crinkling backs, as I 
open them for the first time, 
then put them back.

My guilty hands ask
if they too should be cut off, if
it were such a sin when they rubbed
through Robert Frost, lingering on 
the white page, before taking the whole
collection of Glück, seventy years in the making,
and leafed through it in 15 minutes, sucking
inspiration greedily, randomly,
before putting it back on the shelf, 
dirty fingerprints having
taken their fill.

Or this morning,
waking up at seven, seeing
the sun with its rays filtered by 
downtown streets, the early morning
heat, reborn in steam, risen from potholes,
the top of Federal Hill, looking over the city
so close, so far, 
seeing all that could be dreamed, the
people in their workaday suits and
jogging shorts, the kids doing  
wheelies on the pier, the 
pigeons grabbing at
any bite, all things
received freely, 
without
cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment